Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Challenge #16: Knowing your Your History

Wednesdays are the day focused on a SmarterU. I hope everyone got to read their chapters last week in your book of choice. If you are joining us-choose a book and we'll be reading thru it during our time together this year. 

Today's Challenge however deals with historical events.  I am NO history buff-it's just not my cup of tea. However, I value all the freedoms I have today and I know that when I learn about the struggles my ancestors went thru I appreciate them so much more. This past year my husband and I visited the great city of San Antonio, Texas. We spent lots of time hearing the history of the city and see the Alamo...and WOW-I was amazed at the stories and events surrounding the rich history of the San Antonio and it's impact on Texas.

Today we are going to look at 3 historical events in the US-just take some time and look each one up and read a little bit about them.  Jot down one sentence about the event that stands out and how it may have changed our future or impacted you as you learn about it. Here's the 3 events:

  1. History of Statue of Liberty-Who gave it to us? Why or who was the model? What cool things can you learn about this image of American Freedom?
  2. Explosion of the Challenger-First teacher in Space? Why did it explode? I personally remember watching this happen on tv.
  3. Invasion of Pearl Harbor-One of the first attacks on American soil.  Were we ready?
Come up with your own questions about the above three events-don't spend hours-or if you enjoy it spend an hour on one and then research the rest over the next few days-Read about 15 minutes on each topic. These 3 events helped shape who we are-dive in and get to know "us" better.

Challenge Issued!

No comments:

Post a Comment